Whats in my tub #1 Making a journal from the manga book.

BOOK DELIGHTS

I've been going through my garage slowly. Sorting through tubs of art things, in the (mostly), unpacked boxes still sitting there since moving five years ago.

I am trying to go through at least a tub a week and see what art supplies are hidden in there.
I came across this little manga book that I picked up from an op shop years ago. 
(See here in my ranty YouTube video the moment I unpack it last week). 
Yesterday I pulled it out again and wondered what I might make from it. What evolved was a little fold-out book, inspired by a friend's challenge.
Well, that was my yesterday morning effort.
Last night I made some pockets and little envelopes from the pages plus a larger fold-out on some advertising cardstock. 
I wondered what to use the rest of the book for, and noticed other people making altered books.
I followed a couple of tutorials on YouTube and ripped out every second, third, and fourth pages, then glued together the first and fifth pages. (This is approximate as there needs to be room for varying page numbers, or to keep a page you might like the look of). 
This method effectively makes the page contents thinner so you can then further bulk it up with pockets, folders and any additional ephemera/writing spaces added by the purchaser.

Here's my YouTube on the making of it.
(please like my video and subscribe if you enjoy my ramblings).
The pages were then filled up with all manner of ephemera, mostly from using pages from the book including a pocket made from cutting around one of the cat pictures.
I wasn't going to add any external ephemera as I wished to keep it as close to the original idea of the book as possible.
However, I noticed (a bit late), that I didn't even know what the book was about.
Surely having a creepy clown on the front cover might indicate to me that the contents might be off... but no....
Haha.

There was in fact, a bride in a dress with her head blown off, some creepy skeletons, and the odd half-naked female. and I realised that if I was going to gift this to my niece, who loves drawing manga, then I should possibly cover some of those up. Which I of course, did. 
I also tore out some of the more risquè pages.

By that stage, it was a manga journal with a slightly dark element.

I ended up adding some diary pages from the gothic section of VectoriaDesigns bulk pack of printables. Which, I was lucky to purchase for a big discount on sale.
I was nearly done. I just needed to come up with an idea for the inside and outside covers.
I found a nice design of quilting cotton material in purple to match some of the inside tags and used that for the outside cover. I had used a green with white star patterned paper throughout as well and settled on that for the inside back and front covers. 
And then the lot was ready to go, wrapped together with some raffia. 
The end of a little adventure in a different journal-style than usual. 
I hope you have fun playing with this idea!






















Comments

Popular Posts