Getting out my lino cutting tools!


My tools have sat in a box for the past twelve years since I studied for my diploma in Visual Arts.
Last year, I made a decision, after my youngest flew the nest, to go through all my boxes, (piled roof high) in the garage, and toss any arty things that were old, broken, or no longer useful out.

As part of this decision was the desire to re-visit my art practice. After fairly hard years as a single mum, the love of art seemed to be mere words of "I wish I could.....".

So when I found the box with my tools in it, and various other materials such as acrylics and paintbrushes, as well as previously made prints, artworks, books, collages, and assemblages I knew it was time to look at how I wanted my life to look in the future. And with regards to an art-practice, it felt like it was time to choose it again.

I made up my mind to find a studio space, and here I am today, two years later with not just one, but two places I can work. 

Both my studio space out at Woodend (for larger, wet works), and my home office, (my client room now converted to a dry area studio space) are not without their issues but I am so very grateful for the luxury of both. 
(I'll write up a blog about how it all came about soon).

First I took my cutting tools out to Woodend. 
This was where I took a load of stuff, to sort through, and to organise and to get my head into an art space of sorting out what my practice would be. 
After six lovely months of sorting, unpacking, and varied painting and printmaking explorations, the old sheep shearing shed at Woodend became bitterly cold, and as a large space with no power, nor heating, was unworkable.

I started to bring home some items from Woodend. Things began to change. 
As the changes settled, I found myself looking at my printmaking tools sitting on the top of the bookshelf. I had some easy-cut which I hadn't tried before. 

During the start of my Bee Journal, I began gathering items to make folders, pockets and tags and I came across an Instagram where a young girl was making tiny little stamps (thesweetestfern) and it inspired me to make some bee wings

This was where I realised my tools were pretty blunt, and my eyes were not so good anymore. Nevertheless, I decided to continue and to make it my unique rustic style. I like them.








Comments

Popular Posts