What can you create with your napkins?

What can you create with your napkins?

There is often talk in the craft community about how much waste we have in the world. Crafters, in particular, will use anything old and recycled for their projects.

Out of the mixed media staples used for decoupage or collage is paper napkins.  The thin layer can enhance a project with either pattern or a ready-made picture.
  
When crafting, and using a design from a paper napkin, crafters pull the layers apart, only using the uppermost layer.
This inevitably leaves one or two backing sheets floating around.

So what can be done with these extra blank pages?

One option is to stamp them.

I decided to give this a go myself.
I used Stazon ink pads as they're water-resistant once dried, and the napkins will get wet when using glue to decoupage.  

I also incorporated tissue paper in this experiment. (See in pink)


While I was on this, I tried stamping onto the topmost layer of a luxuriously thick double napkin taken from a restaurant.
After pulling the layers apart, I stamped a large butterfly stamp by Indigo Blue with Midnight Blue Stazon onto it.


I really love this stamp and was surprised to find that there was a difference between the previously tried with the birthday party variety of napkin. 

Once this luxurious one was pulled apart, the soft dinner napkin became a much thinner and course version of itself. Interesting!

I wasn't as happy with the results, however, I do acknowledge the particular ink pad I used is getting a little old and probably needs re-inking. 
Either way, the previous napkin stamping, and this particular napkin with its new imagery will all come in handy at some point. And are now happily sitting in my collage tub awaiting a new project.

Comments

Popular Posts